Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Is this really necessary?

I think it's time for editors at book publishers to really do some self examination. Check out the blurb on the inside flap for the recent book in Jennifer Chiaverini's "Elm Creek Quilts" series. It's taken from the Library Journal: "a series that neatly stitches together social drama and the art of quilting." Yikes. I know quilting is one of those New Big Things. I also know that every NBT requires several writers to pen digest sized novels for the women of this country to devour, whether it be Christmas novels or human dramas set around book clubs, but, c'mon, the human drama set around quilting? Not just one novel, but a series? I can only surmise that the women of this country and not getting enough attention at home from their men. That's the only way crap like this could end up being read.

Thankfully, it doesn't come up much in polite conversation. Not once, while playing Project Gotham 4 with a couple of guys from the British Isles has one of them ever said, "Say bloke, what's up with the women in the United States and all the garbage they read for entertainment?" What could my answer be? Could I say to a foreigner in a online game lobby that I think that the women of the United States are not getting enough action at home? Can I betray my county in that way? I don't think I could. I'd just have to say, without laughing, "No way, mate, books like The Bridges of Madison County are great literature. And that book was based on a true story, by the way" and leave it at that.

1 comment:

Wanda said...

I agree the blurb is sappy, and not what i would choose to read, but some women work very hard, take care of the kids, grocery shop, run a household, so if that is what they choose to read while their men are playing Project Gotham 4, so be it. maybe they aren't getting enough attention from their men, who choose to play Project Gotham, their hands on a controller instead of putting their hands on their woman, I guess I have to agree with you. :)