Friday, February 29, 2008

When I spell Hell I spell it D-M-V

Today I went to the DMV to renew my license. After waiting in line for an hour and a half I was given ticket with a number on it and then waited some more. My number was called and I had a new driver's license in my hands after 15 minutes. I starting to think that proving that you can stand for over 45 minutes is part of the driving test. "Hey," they may say, "if you can't stand up for an hour or so then you don't belong behind the wheel of an automobile."

What I found amazing was that I was one of only two people there with something to read. You would figure that if you know you are going to the DMV and you know you are going to be doing nothing for almost two hours but waiting in a line you would bring something to read. If not a book, magazine or newspaper at least a needle to poke your arm with just to remind yourself you are alive. A whole room of people staring at the walls. I don't get it. You'd figure with this being Charlotte there would be one or two people reading a bible and I didn't even see that.

I have to give some kudos to the employees there. They were swamped with humanity and they handled the crowd with undeserved professionalism. I couldn't do that job. What they handled much better than I ever could were the people that jumped out of line to ask a "quick" question and would just slow the excruciating crawl to a stop. It's got to be hard to work someplace that everyone in the world dreads visiting and still be polite and friendly. I'm still not entirely sure why the lady sitting next to me in the queue told me she would be right back when she got up to ask a pointless question.

In honor of today's endurance test I present to you a song by Primus called DMV.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I went to the Sec. of State,(our version of DMV) I did not take a book, I took a toddler who had only a Lincoln Log to play with. We talked and played quietly for a while, then we left to get my oil changed (we took an number). When we returned, we still had a 20 minute wait. These are the times that try men's souls.