Wednesday, October 25, 2006

How bad is Dick Cheney?

"Far more interesting is Isikoff and Corn's exploration of the mental world that the administration inhabits. They recount that in December 2001, Scooter Libby read aloud to a visiting journalist a famous passage from Winston Churchill's memoirs about being named prime minister: ''I felt as if I were walking with destiny, and that all my past life had been but a preparation for this hour and for this trial.'' Libby declared that these words could be applied to Cheney after Sept. 11. Hubris? Megalomania may be more like it."

That's what has always driven me crazy about the Bush people: their use of Churchillian language. Without the presence of a real international threat they do what they can to create fear in the public and then they attempt to orate like Churchill when they pledge to meet this threat. To me they fail utterly but I guess they're good enough to fool about half the people most of the time.

No comments: