Monday, December 05, 2005

In cold pajamas

Over the weekend I plowed through a good chunk of In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. I was inspired to read the book after seeing the movie Capote. The book and movie work well together. The book is about the family and their killers. The movie is about the Capote and his relation with the town and the killers. The two works barely overlap and each is richer because of the existence of the other. I had never read anything at all by Capote and I'm satisfied that I finally did. I'm glad I saw the movie before I read the book. If I had done the inverse I would probably say the same thing concerning that order. Because of the movie, as I read the book I just pictured this member of the New York intelligentsia living and working among rural Kansas folk. Getting a taste of who Capote was adds even more color to a rich work because I have more of an image of the writer's personality and that influences the feeling I had as I read the nonfiction novel.

No comments: