Monday, June 14, 2004

Comic convention

Today I went to the Heroes comic book convention at the Charlotte convention center. I hadn't been there for about ten years and it was a lot of fun. I got to finger some comics, check out some cool toys, buy a few comics, people watch and take pictures of Klingon chicks. Holy moly! Klingon chicks! That's half the reason I went. My day would have been empty if there hadn't been Klingon chicks, man.


I even bought a short four page adaption of Lewis Carroll's Jabberwocky by my afternoon crush, Angi Shearstone. I tried to make small talk but ended up sounding like a dope. Ah well, she smiled once or twice.

I hadn't been to a convention of any kind in a while and I had forgotten how nice it is to mingle around with people who enjoy what you enjoy. Almost every single operator of a booth was as willing to talk to you as sell to you.

I was a little surprised by how many bootleg DVD's were for sale. I must say though that almost all of what was for sale were unavailable legitimately. There were no Lord of the Rings bootlegs for sale. No one there wanted a bootleg Lord of the Ring when the high quality official release was available. For example, I bought a Thundarr the Barbarian DVD only because I have been unable to find one anywhere else. You may say that I was thrilled to shell out too much dough for an inferior copy of a cartoon I hadn't seen in over ten years. It makes me wonder if people from companies that own the rights to this stuff attend conventions like these to see what people want. They'd be foolish not to.

No comments: