Tuesday, September 23, 2003

The Big Guy

I wasn't going to mention Gordon Jump until I saw the quote by Tom. I came across WKRP in Cincinnatti when I was in high school and it was syndicated in the afternoon on a local station. I fell in love with in right away. Two things about the show:

1) One of the funniest sitcom episodes ever has to be the Turkey Drop episode of WKRP. Gordon Jump as the hapless station manager, known to some of his employees as the Big Guy, delivers the punchline after an almost 30 minute buildup. After dropping turkeys from a helicopter that plummet to their deaths he enters the station after escaping the chaos caused and says to his employees "As god is a my witness, I thought turkeys could fly." I dare you not fall off your couch laughing.

2) Several years ago at Officemax my friend Jeff was the dock manager. He used to wear suspenders and he was a short squat guy and I used to refer to him as "the Big Guy" around the cashiers when he wasn't near. One day one of the cashiers referred to him as the Big Guy when he was standing next to her. I think some other employee asked her a question as she said something like, "Heck if I know. Ask the Big Guy." She was embarrassed and Jeff thought it was funny. I love it when shit like that happens.

No comments: