Thursday, August 28, 2003

I forgot that this is fun

A few weeks back I made a short mix CD for Jim that included a few songs by the White Stripes and others. Along with the CD I gave him a copy of the sheet music for the White Stripes' songs. I was hoping at least one of the songs would click with Jim and he would record it at home on his four track. He was wooed by the song "We're going to be friends." He recorded a version of it and gave me a tape with his take of the song along with his usual large output of recordings. I may have to buy a new cassette tape just for the tapes Jim has made of his home recordings for me.

The other night I picked my high-end imitation Stratocaster and tried to learn the simple finger picking that goes with the song "We're going to be friends." Last night Wendell and I practiced it together. Hey, playing guitar is fun! Even if, like me, you ain't no good. A couple times last night I actually lost myself and stopped thinking about what I was doing and just played. I hadn't done that in forever. I don't know what it is about me that has created this lazy streak a mile wide. I have always had it and I don't know where it came from. Hopefully last night was a good sign and I'll start playing every day again, even if it's just for ten minutes.

No comments: