Friday, June 13, 2003

Ah, racin'

I wrote recently about the fantastic trip Chris and I took to the Lancaster Speedway on a Saturday night. The recent fiasco of NASCAR moving the labor day race from Darlington caused me to rethink my experience in Lancaster.

I have seen video of old Southern 500's that are run in Darlington, SC. They have been running these Labor Day races since 1950. I remember telling Wendell and Chris that I wish I could travel back in time and attend a race at Darlington in the 50's or 60's. It looked to me to be very raw and exciting and so very southern.

Now, as I reconsider my trip to the Lancaster Speedway, I realize I witnessed what it was like to be in Darlington in the 1950's. Yes, friends, seeing a dirt track race in South Carolina is equivalent to being at Ebbets Field in Brooklyn.

No comments: