Thursday, January 09, 2003

And she began to shout

Man, I wish this blog was more anonymous. There is some work stuff I would like to talk about that would be real funny. I won't, I can't, I mustn't. Sure do want to, though.

I have been reading the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn for the last few days. I've been real bad this last week about not reading at home. I don't know what my deal is. I made sure last night that I spent at least an hour reading. I did and I feel much better about myself now. A little better at least. I just arrived at the point in the book where Huck, a boy that has grown up around slavery as the natural and right order of things, has decided that if not turning in a runaway slave is stealing and the penalty for stealing is eternal damnation then he will choose the unrighteous path and damn himself by saving his friend. As Huck himself put it "All right, then, I'll go to hell." Any arguments agin the book because of Twain's use of the word 'nigger' are completely nullified by this passage. The soul searching and conclusion that Huck comes to is one of the most touching passages I have ever read.

No comments: