Friday, August 16, 2002

Cats Like Bamboo

I recieved a bamboo plant as a graduation present a few days ago and I keep it on my desk at work. It looks really cool sitting next to my goth girl bobblehead. Barbara and I got to talking about bamboo and she said that she thought she had heard that it's easy to grow bamboo in your home from a cutting.

There is a small grove of bamboo in the courtyard out the back of my apartment building. I went out earlier today and cut a three foot length of bamboo off a plant. Did you know bamboo is very tough? I tried to cut it with my Swiss army knife and had no luck and had to snap the piece off with my bare hands. I was surprised by it's strength because I was only cutting a piece about half an inch in diameter.

When I brought the leafy branch in the insane cat, Gallagher, ran off in fright. After he composed himself he returned and began munch greedily on cuttings on the floor from the trimming I had been doing. He ate so much I thought he was going to barf so I took it away from him. He is a plant chewer but I have only seen him go after plantlife like that when I put catnip out.

I stuck a stem in a glass of water and placed it in the window in my room. I was laying on my bed reading and Pippin came in and walked across my book, perched on the window sill and caught a whiff of the bamboo and walked over and took a bite. What is up with that? What is there about bamboo that would cause these guys to go nuts ?

I was wondering if bamboo is native to the states and according to encyclopedia.com there is a native species of bamboo called cane. So I guess I have cane growing in my room. It appears that bamboo is edible so I guess it's not that big of a deal for my cats to eat it. I just don't need one more thing that they can barf up.

No comments: