Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Romney's Palin Moment?

Yesterday evening Mitt Romney made a media appearance and attempted to deceive voters by accusing the Obama administration of sympathizing with those that attacked our embassy in Benghazi, Libya and killed four staff members, including U.S. ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens. Romney said, "It’s disgraceful that the Obama Administration’s first response was not to condemn attacks on our diplomatic missions, but to sympathize with those who waged the attacks." The sympathy he was referring to was a message put out by the U.S embassy in Cairo on the Morning of September 11th. The message read, "The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims - as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions. Today, the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy. Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others." This was in reference to an anti-Islam documentary made by some assclown in the U.S. This announcement came before any attacks and was an attempt to calm any outrage these Americans were intentionally trying to create. You can see an excellent timeline of these events here.

In 2008 when John McCain chose Sarah Palin as his running mate and it became apparent pretty quickly that she was about as unqualified for the position as you could be and still be literate I remember thinking that if I was on the fence about to vote for then John McCain just made the choice for me. There was no way in hell I would vote for any ticket that had Sarah Palin on it. I think a lot of Americans felt the same way. The day John McCain chose Sarah Palin as his vice presidential candidate was the day he lost the election.

Maybe if we are lucky this deception by Mitt Romney could be his Sarah Palin moment. If I was on the fence right now (I'm not) and I was aware of the stunt Mitt Romney pulled last night he just lost my vote. If you are going to lie to me then you don't deserve my vote. I understand politicians spin facts. Even Bill Clinton's speech, which was heralded as stunningly accurate for a speech by a politician, had some fudges in it. I expect that. I don't expect to be hornswaggled. This isn't the Republican primary in South Carolina, this is the campaign for leader of the free world, a little decency would be nice.

No comments: