Thursday, July 12, 2012

The Nobama Attitude

Driving to work today I ended up behind an SUV with so many conservative stickers on the back that I thought maybe it was done as a joke. It had a sticker that said "I support the 2nd Amendment," one that read "If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you weren't racist then vote him out in 2012 to prove you're not an idiot." It also had a sticker asking how that hope and change were working and another with the "Nobama" along with the design borrowed from Obama's 2008 campaign logo. There was one more about the leaders will follow if the people lead but that one could go either way.

I found interesting the sticker that implied that some people voted for Obama out of guilt. Methinks that may be a bit of projection on the part of anyone who believes that. Maybe, just maybe, I didn't vote for Obama out of guilt. I voted for him because I am a liberal and I support his policies over McCain's (and there is not way in hell I would vote for a ticket which had Sarah Palin). Maybe, just maybe, you didn't vote for him and protest a bit too much for a similar reason? No? Hey, you brought up race, dude, I think you're the one with issues.

And this whole 2nd amendment thing. Oh good, you support the 2nd amendment. I am so happy you think the country should have a militia...What? You think that allows you arm yourself to the teeth and allow criminals to shoot up neighborhoods because "law abiding" citizens sell their guns and/or don't store them securely? As Al Franken once said in reference to a quote by Phil Gramm ("I have more guns than I need but not as many as I want"), "He and I are two very different people."*

*May not be exact quotes, I don't have access to Franken's book Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot which is where that quote appears to originate.

By the way, one of my favorite Al Franken moments happened on Al's appearance on Howard Stern back when Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot first came out. Howard massacred the name of the book at one point, calling it something like Rush Limbaugh is an Idiot and Al interrupted Howard and dead panned in the way only he can, "No, no, the title is Rush Limbaugh is a BIG FAT Idiot." Slayed me.

No comments: