Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Forza 6 Demo

Yesterday I downloaded the demo for Forza 6. For those of you unfamiliar the Forza series is a racing simulator for consoles. I have mixed feelings about it. The game has historically simulated driving physics very well. Unlike most other racing games the cars in this game feel like they have mass. You cannot just throw cars into turns and expect to come out on the other side. You have to pick a proper line and drive it. If you go into a turn wrong at racing speed you are either going to wreck or have to slow way down. It is challenging. As a racing game it has yet to really hook me. The other cars on the track tend to drive lines and not really race you. The game tends to default to expecting you go finish first in each race in order to advance. I'd like to see that tweaked.

So, last night I tried the four-race demo for Forza 6. Unsurprisingly, it looks amazing with great physics. I found the game giving me a lot of options in order to tweak the game play. I found a good setting for the physics with a matching setting for opponent aggressiveness that forced me to really scramble just to finish third in a race. I also noticed the game borrowing from games like Titanfall by offering packs of cards you can purchase with points earned during gameplay that give you advantages or challenges that last for one race. Could be a nice touch.

The one special race offered in the demo allows you to turn seven laps at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. I really felt a sense of speed and driving laps around Indy at racing speed was not easy. I am really leaning toward giving this game a chance. Below is a video of my last few laps at Indianapolis.

No comments: