Monday, May 20, 2013

Yahoo Developer Virus

For a couple of weeks at home I was having trouble with a virus that is described as the Yahoo Developer YQL Console virus. What happens was that every time I tried to do a Google search I got kicked over to the site that read Yahoo Developer. It took over my laptop and slowed everything down. I used the steps set out by this Metafilter user and that helped up to a certain point. The virus would go away but return. What I learned through more searching was that I needed to do all those steps and also reinstall the firmware on my router. I think the virus was living on my router. After I ran all the antivirus software and resinstalled the firmware on the router the virus went away and has not returned for a few months. I didn't see much on the message boards that addressed that so here is my little contribution to world peace.

No comments: