Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Dan Kelly

On Sunday Melanie, Chris and I drove up to Vienna, VA to see Australina singer/songwriter Paul Kelly play a show at a great little club called Jammin Java. Before the show we met Paul Kelly's nephew Dan Kelly. Dan plays guitar with Paul Kelly when he plays A to Z shows. During A to Z shows Paul Kelly will do a two-night stand at a club and play 2 1/2 hours a night of his songs in alphabetical order. Dan was a lot of fun, he was friendly and had a playful humor about him. Before the show I noticed he was selling a CD and I asked after the show if it had original songs. He said, "Oh yeah! And it's not the folk singer/songwriter stuff like we did tonight, it's kinda psychadelic rock!" I had to buy it. The album is called "Dan Kelly's Dream" and it's really good.

Here is a video for the title track of the album. I don't know if it's an official video or not but I like the song a lot.


The video below is Dan Kelly busking out on the street. I think it shows nicely his playfulness.


Discovering Dan and his music is one of those nice surprises you get when you take a chance and take a chance and go see live music and talk to people.

No comments: