Thursday, July 08, 2010

Driving in Charlotte (Still Sucks)

I had the perfect example of Charlotte driving the other day in the Harris Teeter parking lot. I drive a little 1989 Honda Civic and, since it's so low to the ground, if anything larger than a German shepherd is parked next to me I have to back out real slow from a parking space because I can't see shit. Since I was at the Morrocroft Harris Teeter I was parked next to a giant SUV. So here I am backing out nice and slow and as soon as I can see the driving lane I notice a car oncoming so I stop because this is Charlotte and they are not going to practice parking lot etiquette which is either A) stop and wave me out or 2) tap their horn to let me know they are going by. This is a different world with different rules and what I experienced was a couple in their late 50s or early 60s in a big American car zooming by me while screaming at me. I can still see it as clear as a spring day: a red faced couple just jawin' away behind the rolled up windows, their faces twisted in rage screaming at me to stop. As Melanie likes to say, "We're not in Charleston anymore.

1 comment:

Nicjor79 said...

Since Charlotte IS technically in the South (hard to believe sometimes), my theory on Southern drivers applies here. Southerners are so polite in every other situation that they need to make up for it somewhere- and for most that's behind the wheel.