Sunday, July 18, 2010

David Childers

Last night Wendell and I took the bus to the Moorehead Street Tavern to see David Childers and the Overmountain Men. Moorehead is a strange place to me because back in the early 90s it was a horrible disco called The Cellar that I went to a lot for reasons I can no longer fathom. David Childers has been playing music around the area for several years and he scared the shit out of everybody by retiring back in 2007. Turns out he was just taking a break. Thank god. Childers, to me, is a lot like R.L. Burnside. When he's in performance mode he travels and he takes you with him. When he is on stage he draws people in, they want to get close to him, interact and attempt to feel what he is feeling. There's a reason that some people call him "The Reverend David Childers."

I took a few pictures.


David Childers
IMG_7118

Robert Childers plays drums and he's, like, totally awesome.
IMG_7116

Yeah, I was playing with the second curtain setting on my flash.
IMG_7096

Maybe too much?
IMG_7077

Most of the band
IMG_7066

David Performing Bob Dylan's "Just Like a Woman."

No comments: