Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Not Working

The airline I used for my short trip to Michigan over the weekend was Delta. Delta is one of the airlines that charges for checked in baggage. I checked a bag because it was too big, I thought, to carry on the plane. It turns out that what charging this fee has done is force passengers to carry on two bags. One of these bags they put under their seat and the other they put in a rack that then is lowered into the plane. Some passengers were carrying on bags much larger than they normally would so on my flight from Detroit to Traverse City the passengers and the flight attendants spent extra time stowing luggage under seats and in overhead compartments. This caused the flight to leave later and made an already cramped airplane even more so. I hereby judge the experiment of charging for checked in baggage a failure.

No comments: