Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Win one for god

This is priceless. I found this video at the always valuable Talking Points Memo. This guy is saying a prayer at the opening of a McCain rally. Did I hear him refer to the Hindu religion as a single god? And also, isn't Buddhism more of a philosophy than a religion. I think someone should let him know that Buddhists don't pray to Buddha. Hey buddy, if you are going to declare your religion more important than other religions perhaps you should know what the hell you are talking about. Of course, this is George Bush's America right now and it's not about what you know, it's about how you feel. At least on the side of aisle where it's OK to call a sitting United States Senator a traitor to his country.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hands down, you are one of the funniest people I know.

Anonymous said...

I see you updated your blog posting to eliminate the typos and clarify your position. Good. Now your argument makes more sense.

True, Hinduism has more than one god. I am guessing he misspoke, just as you miss-typed in your first blog posting. Christians are just as prone to errors as anyone.... I ought to know, being an evangelical myself, I am far from perfect.

I have had many opportunities in Seattle to talk to practitioners of Hinduism about their faith. I am not sure that they would be as offended by that guy's remarks as you were. But I could be wrong. I haven't had the opportunity to interview all the Hindus in Seattle.

I have a couple friends out here who are Buddhists. They do, in fact, pray to Buddha. They offer him gifts of flowers and food at the feet of the gold idol at their temple. One of my friends is a Buddhist priest, so I pretty much have to assume they know what they are talking about.

I was surprised that you did not also realize that Christianity is a philosophy, as well as a faith. The basis of salvation through God's grace is the basis of how we live our lives. Romans 12:2a states, "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind..." A definite philosophical statement.

The biggest mistake that any of us can make (myself included) is to judge religions by the followers of the religion. Instead, study the doctrines of the faiths. Then choose to follow, choose to decline, or choose to do nothing.

The last choice we should make is to bludgeon someone for what they believe*. It isn't about being right or wrong.... it is about pursuing the Truth.

*here is an "open can of worms" statement if I ever wrote one!

Only the Truth will set you free.

Anonymous said...

Way to get him going Ed, I bet he's using both hands for this lecture.