Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Hard Drive Parties

I had never heard of hard drive parties before but it is such a cool idea. Cory Doctorow has a nice paragraph about them here:

"Will this stop kids from trading infringing files? Kids are time-rich and cash-poor and have an infinite supply of ingenuity and impecuniousness to apply to the job of getting music for free. Last year, my freshman university students in Los Angeles regaled me with stories of "hard-drive parties" where everyone would gather with guitars, beers and whopping great hard drives that cost less than either the guitars or the beers. While the students jammed, sang and danced, they simply synchronised their drives using whatever laptops were lying around, transferring hundreds of gigabytes' worth of music while composing and recording songs of their own."

I've said it before and I'll say it again, "Die, music industry, die!"

No comments: