Friday, May 16, 2008

Pat Robertson

If you read one article about Pat Robertson and the rise of the Christian right, please, make sure it's this one.

As I mentioned below in my diatribe about our worthless president, is it scarier for one of these guys to be using this far right Christian strategy for what it can achieve or if he believes every crazy word he says? To me it's more frightening if he believes such nonsense. As an American I have the normal amount of respect for the swindler, like the king in Huckleberry Finn. It's the true believer that freaks me out.

1 comment:

Jim said...

Great stuff.
I went to school with the guy who wrote it.
The Pilot is, of course, my home newspaper.
That Portsmouth TV station (old Channel 27)and I go back somewhat together. Before Pat bought it, I was part of one of the last acts ever seen on that channel: on public access playing violin for a girl who sang "Cockles and Mussels (Alive, Alive, Oh)" -- then doing "Londonderry Air" solo.
Later, some college friends and I called in dozens of fake prayer requests to Jim and Clammy, often rewarded by long admonishments sprinkled with prayers for our forgiveness and our sad, wayward souls while we rolled around on the floor in pure glee. There wasn't a helluva lot to do in Norfolk in those days.