Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Let's advocate genocide

Another enlightening message from the far right: "I cannot tell you how important it is that we understand the true nature of Islam, that we see it for what it really is. In fact, I will tell you this: I do not believe our country can truly fulfill its divine purpose until we understand our historical conflict with Islam. I know that this statement sounds extreme, but I do not shrink from its implications. The fact is that America was founded, in part, with the intention of seeing this false religion destroyed, and I believe September 11, 2001, was a generational call to arms that we can no longer ignore."

Good stuff, that. God is love but he wants to eradicate his enemies.


Just in case you weren't sure about Bush and Cheney...

A study conducted by a group that is funded by the federal government has finally shown that there was no connection between Saddam and Al-Queada. I think we all pretty much knew that but it's nice to have a definite answer. And, of course, god forbid the Bush people would deal honestly with us even once about anything.

I stole the first link from Patrick Lang.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

About a year ago, I had the opportunity to hear a gentleman named Mateen Elass speak on the subject of Islam. Dr. Elass grew up in Saudi Arabia and was raised in Islam until he converted to Christianity sometime in his twenties. He has also written a simple primer on the subject of the Koran and the inception of Islam called Understanding the Koran: A Quick Christian Guide to the Muslim Holy Book.

After the seminar, I had an opportunity to speak with him over lunch. While it is unfortunately true that a militant attitude exists within a Christian context, I can honestly say that Dr. Elass displayed no such evidence in his personality during our conversation. I respected and appreciated how Dr. Elass did not beat a political pulpit. I bought his book.

Upon returning to Seattle, which has a about 40,000 Muslims regionally (http://www.islamfortoday.com/seattle.htm) I finished reading and decided to put some of what I read to the test. I asked Muslims if what I read was true. I found that most Muslims were no different from most Christians, who understood the basic tenants of their faith, but on the whole did not have a broader understanding of their holy book. So my endeavors to search out the authenticity of this primer were not successful until I spoke with an Imam. It appears that Dr. Elass hit the nail on the head.

Last year, I was asked to speak in one of the public schools as part of an "expert" panel on world religions. Again, I had an opportunity to speak one on one with a Muslim leader who confirmed what I had read.

If what Dr. Elass' book ascertains is true (and mind you, a Muslim religious leader agreed with the facts presented by a Christian in a book published by a Christian publishing company), then I think it is important for everyone, Christians and non-Christians alike, to read what Islam is based on and what it is about.

Hey, do the same thing with Judaism, Hinduism, Shintoism, Pantheism, and Buddhism! Think about what I'm asking you to do: A Christian Pastor (and one who might potentially be labeled "one of them") is encouraging you to explore the belief structures of faiths not within Christianity!

Don't want to buy the book? Check out these two articles written by Dr. Elass:
http://www.haventoday.org/goingdeeper/125
http://www.haventoday.org/goingdeeper/126

Hey Ed, thanks for letting me use YOUR forum for MY opinions. And keep the thoughts coming, brother. You cause me to think.

I once read the following paraphrase in a book of philosophy.... "What is more important: Being right, or finding the truth?"

Anonymous said...

You know what, Ed? I'm sorry I posted all this on your blog. I should have done it on my own blog instead. The last thing I want to do is go off on some of my own meanderings on my friends turf. I guess my only excuse is that I couldn't sleep.... no real excuse, really.

Sorry, bro.

Jim said...

And, as you know, ever so often we need to kick a little ass in general -- because we can.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Kevin L rambling off on a tangent? That never happens? What's next? Cats sleeping with dogs? Me doing something peculiar? It's no secret that you can't pick your family but you can pick your friends. I'm glad I picked you guys.