Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Return of the MP3 blog

Because Randy is a genius I now have the internets back in my room so I can now upload songs to my webpage from my hard drive again. What better way to celebrate my new found connectivity by bringing back the ever popular MP3 blog?

Today's artist is the Circle Jerks. I guess you can tell by their name that they are a punk band. I read about them on Wikipedia and they formed in the L.A. area in 1979. Somehow when I was in high school in 1985 I bought their album Wonderful. I can only guess that I heard a song by them on WNMC or I read about them in Rolling Stone. I don't remember. Maybe their name caught my eye at the local record store. I doubt it, I could barely afford to buy music in high school so I must have known something about the album before I bought it.

I do remember playing the hell out of it for a good long time. My two favorite tracks are Making the Bombs and Killing for Jesus. I have included Killing for Jesus today because it just seems more appropriate today with fundamentalist Christians running around in charge and people like these calling Islam an evil religion while a Christian is in the White House waging war. Besides, how could I not include the song that has this doozy of a lyric, "I'm never bored when I'm killlin' for the lord?"

Since they are an L.A. punk band from way back when you might think they would have a sound not too far off from that generic fast punk sound. I always described this album as sounding like decent pop metal band fronted by a punk singer. Is it especially unique? Not really. Is it all that great? Not in retrospect but it was a good album for an 18 year old in 1986.

From what I understand they have reformed and tour some. They actually came to Winston-Salem last year and I missed them. Granville and I almost went. I'm not sure why we didn't. Maybe I had to work. They have a Myspace page with a new song on it that's pretty good. If they came out with a new album I think I'd buy it.

Ladies and gentleman, I give you Killing for Jesus by the Circle Jerks.

If, after hearing this song, you have to know more about this band you can read about them on Wikipedia.

No comments: