Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Football

I've been watching a good amount of football this year. As I have said many times on this blog, I am not a huge sports fan. I ain't one of those guys that follows sports all that closely. I think that should be obvious if you see that my main fantasy football team went 3-10 this year but I'll watch me some football.

I have noticed one aspect of football in the last few years that has really been bugging me. The league is calling defensive penalties way too closely. Defensive backs don't know from what play to the next what they will be allowed to do when they are striding down the field with receivers and defensive linemen are being penalized for holding...offensive linemen. I know offense is exciting but they need to rein the referees in before the NFL turns into the NBA. I know it's not the fault of the on field officials, they are just following the league's instructions.

Also in the last year or two I've watched me some college football and I'm really starting to enjoy the game. The Ohio State-Michigan clash was a doozy. Football doesn't get a whole lot better than that an any level. One think I have noticed is that in college pass interference is a ten yard penalty with an automatic first down. I think the NFL should adopt a rule similar to that. Giving the offense 40 yards on a judgement call is just unfair. Maybe the NFL could limit that penalty to 20 yards or half the distance to the goal line. It would really even the game out and give defenses a chance to really play.

My two cents.

No comments: