Thursday, November 16, 2006

A couple of days ago I saw that Ursula Le Guin has a new book out called "Voices." It's a fantasy novel (second in a series) that is centered on a secret library. A library that is keeping reading and learning alive in a city that has been conquered and occupied by a people that think reading is a sin.

Each time I pick up a book by her I am always amazed at her ability to create cultures. In less 150 pages has created two distinct cultures, people who live in those cultures, conflict with each and even start to see the shared humanity in someone who is their enemy. Amazing. Le Guin is a genius at world creating.

I called it a series but it is a series that is set in the same imaginary land, not necessarily the adventures of the same characters. "Voices" is the second book in this series and it looks like it's going to be a good one. I'm always on the look out for good fantasy and science fiction I can recommend to kids and I got another one.

No comments: