Monday, May 29, 2006

It makes me sad

I see that Barry Bonds passed Babe Ruth on the all-time home run list. When Hank Aaron did this I was too young to really appreciate his achievement. As a follower of baseball I read more about the history of than watch and follow the current game. I think I understand the statistics enough to know that someone passing Babe Ruth in total home runs should be one of the great sports stories of my life. But, due to baseball's apathy towards steroids (owners and players and reporters), I just don't care.

I've seen some quotes from current players saying that, no matter what, you have to appreciate what Barry has accomplished. The game has always been bigger than the players and owners, that is what makes baseball so endearing. It's a tragedy that the game wasn't bigger than steroids.

No comments: