Friday, March 10, 2006

I'm a quitter

For the last few days I've been plowing through The Thin Place by Kathryn Davis. Last night I gave up. Although the writing is top notch, I just couldn't develop any empathy for the characters. The prose distanced me from the novel while I'm sure it was attempting to pull me in. Maybe it was over my head. I may have been an Engrish major but I was more into writing and reading poems than analyzing novels. It was the chapter that opened with the thought processes of a bull moose that broke my back. Instead of continuing I went ahead and started Arthur and George by Julian Barnes and, though I only read it for about half an hour before I drifted off, I already am deeper into the two main characters than any of the dozen or so characters in The Thin Place.

No comments: