Saturday, February 11, 2006

A Minor Miracle

I did not have to work yesterday so I had a chance to catch up on some personal business. I needed to pay my county vehicle tax and then run by the DMV and renew my license tag. For the first time in my life I spent more time driving while taking care of these two tasks than I did standing in line. I was in and out of each office in less than fifteen minutes. When I walked out of the DMV office I was in a daze. I had the whole afternoon in front of me. It was like free bonus time. It was like my life had been extended by three hours.

Whenever this time of the year rolls around I always have to run by the county tax office to pay my vehicle tax before I head to the DMV. I never pay my vehicle tax until I absolutely have to and you absolutely have to have that paid before you can renew your tag now. I guess that's good because if it wasn't set up like that I probably wouldn't pay my vehicle tax until they came to my door.

A Short Dialogue

Me: Wow, the wait here gets shorter each time.
DMV Lady: We're trying!
Me: I barely had time to read any of my book. I used to bring two books but you have been getting faster so this time I only brought one.
DMV Lady: Hopefully soon you won't have to bring any book at all.

Wow, imagine that. That would be pretty close to heaven on earth if the DMV ever got to the point where you could just walk up and get what you need without having any line to wait in at all. Jesus, to dream is to dream.

No comments: