Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Music o' the year

Is it that time yet? Why not. Here is a list of stuff I've bought and or acquired this year that stuck out.

Waco Brothers - Freedom and Weep. Typical Waco Brothers album. Great lyrics and sterling musicianship. Someone once said they were capable of songwriting on a varsity level.

White Stripes - Get Behind me Satan. I didn't know how I felt about this album at first. I guess it is a little uneven at times but like Paul McCartney said about the White Album: hey, it's the White Stripes. It's great.

Constantines - Tournament of Hearts. Like the White Stripes album, probably not what I expected. A mellow album that is still full of energy. They are masters of the slow burn.

Otis Taylor - Below the Fold. I just bought this the other day. Another masterful trance blues record by a guy who considers himself a songwriter, not a bluesman. I have got to see this guy live.

Robert Plant - The Mighty Rearranger. I love this album. I thought Dreamland was good but this album blows it away. I've probably played this one in my car more than any other album this year.

Sleater-Kinney - The Woods. A big meaty album. I like it because it rocks.

Heartless Bastards - Stairs and Elevators. A new artist from the guys at Fat Possum. Awesome bloozy rock and roll band fronted by a tough-ass yet still vulnerable chick.

Paul McCartney - Chaos and Creation in the back yard. I played this one night while reading and caught myself humming along. Paul can still write a catchy tune. The bastard.

Rolling Stones - A bigger bang. First Stones album since Some Girls worthy of more than two listens. I played "Back of my hand" six times in a row the first time I heard it.

Honorable Mention:
Alice Cooper - Dirty Diamonds. Worth it just for the Ballad of Jesse Jane.

No comments: