Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Crusing around in my automobile

"How do you remember to stay on the left side of the road?" Mike asked.

"Easy, the steering wheel is on the right side and the driver sits next to the yellow line," I said.

"That's it?"

"Also, I have it burned into my brain that the right turn is the hard turn. You know, like back home the left turn is the hard turn?"

"Yeah."

"Well, once you have it seared into your head that the right turn in Japan is the hard turn then it all falls into place."

"I guess that makes sense."

"Have you ever seen me screw up yet?"

"No, but have you?"

"Once on base. It was early and Tim was riding with me and we were driving past the football field and for some reaason I was driving on the right side of the road. I didn't even notice until Tim said, 'are you screwing around, Ed, or have you actually forgotten which side of the road to drive on?' I felt pretty stupid."

"That's the only time?"

"Honest. I figure doing it on base, which seems more like home than the streets off base is excusable. I was the only car on the road too. I think that made a difference."

No comments: