Friday, April 08, 2005

Cars out the ying yang

Today my friend Chris and I went to the Food Lion Auto Fair at the Lowe's Motor Speedway. I've always wanted to check it out and I had the day off and an extra ten bucks to blow on admission.

There was a shitload of people there and cars lined around the whole 1 1/2 mile track. There were a lot of sweet hotrods there. There was even a Ford GT which had a speedometer there went up to 220 mph. It looked like a damn spaceship. There were about ten guys in constant motion around that baby. The only disappointment for me was that the show was heavy on American muscle cars and less than ten percent of the vehicles were manufactured before 1940. Ah well, you can't have everything.

Walking into the place Chris got nabbed by a reporter from Channel 9. Of course the first thing you think of when you see a channel 9 news truck is "Was somebody in the auto fair killed?" Turns out that no one had been killed. The reporter was trying to find people that were angry that the city took so long to expand the roads around the track. Chris is a talker and I think the reporter got more than he bargained for in him. The cameraman turned his camera off after a while and Chris and reporter kept talking.


Other than looking at cool cars the other reason I wanted to go was so I could walk around freely on the track. That was a lot of fun. At one point I climbed to the top of turn four and got a great view of the entrance to pit road and the slope down onto the front stretch dogleg. To me it was like standing in center field of Tiger Stadium. Here is a shot of Chris walking down the 24 degree banking of turn three.


I hope these pictures are viewable tomorrow because I haven't paid my cable bill yet.

No comments: