Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Glad you're back

Ever come across an author whose writing style just seems to mesh well with your mind? It's happened a couple of times over my life. It happened first with Robert Heinlein. It's not something you can qualify it just is.

A few years ago it happened again. His name is Sean Stewart. I read a book by him called Resurrection Man several years ago and I knew right after starting the book that I was going to read whatever he put out and follow his career. He was about the same age as me and was a hell of a lot better writer than I would ever be.

Back in 2000 he published his last book. His website kinda died and then I found out he had worked on some internet project which I haven't looked into at all, honestly. Then I noticed just a few months ago that Small Beer Press, a newish small press, was putting a new book out by Sean Stewart. Cool, I thought, it's about dang time someone brought him back to the world of publishing.

Without getting too enthusiastic about this, I'll just say I am reading his new book called Perfect Circle and I am enjoying the hell out of it. It's about ghosts and family and your family's ghosts, I think. Something like that. I like books that are hard to describe yet make complete sense as you read them. Phillip K. Dick did that and so did Roger Zelazny.

I hope Sean and Small Beer Press have a friendly and rewarding relationship and a new book by him comes out once a year. Is that too much to ask? I think not. So I would like everyone that reads this to go to the Small Beer Press website and buy the book, please. That will help assure that they continue to put his books out. Do it for me, do it for yourself. If money is a problem there is a trade paperback version available. That's the one I bought. I thought printing a hardcover version and a trade paperback version simultaneously was a pretty smart strategy.

No comments: