Sunday, November 02, 2003

Mystic River

I just got back from seeing the new Clint Eastwood directed movie Mystic River.

If you haven't read any reviews then I won't spoil the plot like most reviews. I'll just say that it has Sean Penn, Tim Robbins and Kevin Bacon giving just fucking amazing performances. I just looked at a segment of a review from the New Yorker that likens it to a Greek Tragedy and that sums it up perfectly.

Like his classic flick Unforgiven there are no good guys or bad guys in this movie. The characters are flawed, real and worthy of empathy.

There is a great night shot where the camera is moving over water towards a building where light is leaking out through a door or a window. I almost felt the chill coming off the water.

It's pacing was unhurried like Shawshank Redemption and the story unfolds with a good natural feel. There wasn't a single chase scene or explosion. It's not a movie I will see again for a long time becaus it was disturbing but it's one I'm glad I saw.

No comments: