Sunday, November 16, 2003

Mmmm...longevity pay

After ten years at the library you receive longevity pay with your mid-month paycheck. It's not a fortune but it looks good in your bank account. I put a good chunk of it in my savings account (notice I didn't say most of it) the rest I spent on books and music.

I've been wanting to hear the new David Bowie album and I found that you can't steal it off Kazaa because every track, no matter what it's called, turned out to be Jean Genie. Jean Genie is one of my favorite Bowie songs but I don't need an album's worth of it. So I bought the goddamn thing.

I also bought two short story collections by the the sciene fiction authors Arthur C. Clarke and Cordwainer Smith. Most of you probably never heard of Smith but he was an incredibly imaginative writer who wrote sporadically througout the fifties and sixties. If you ever pick up a good classic science fiction anthology you might see a story by him in there called "Alpha Ralpha Boulevard."

The Arthur C. Clarke book is a complete collection of his short stories. I checked it out from the library when it first came out a couple of years ago but it's so huge I didn't even come close to finishing it. It'll be nice to have it around so I can pick it up when the urge hits me.

William (friend I now work with) told me about a website I had never heard of. It's called Overstock and it's a great place to buy books. The prices are about %10 lower than Amazon's. Check em out, eh.


No comments: