Wednesday, November 05, 2003

The blessed bus driver

Yesterday's post may cause you to think that I consider all Christians to be fuck heads. That is not true.

For a long time I used to loathe the phrase "have a blessed day." I would hear it on answering machines and it would be used as a way to say goodbye on the phone, sometimes by someone who was less than polite before.

Then I met the happy Christian bus driver. She drove on my route for about six weeks and she was always happy. Always. She was even all friendly and smily when "Aunt Flo" came to visit. I always greeted her back when I boarded the bus. If you say hi to me in a nice way I'll respond in kind.

We developed a rapport. A neat little affable relationship based upon smiles and hellos and her wishing upon me of having a blessed day each time I disembarked the bus. I never resented her wishing a blessed day upon me because I really thin she meant it. It didn't become another useless piece of language like saying "bless you" after someone sneezes or the "how ya doin'" used when you pass someone in a hallway.

No comments: