Friday, July 25, 2003

Well, I needed it this morning

After spending a few months working with my dad
at the car dealership I found my perfect post-marines
job, cashier at a convenience store. It required
no thinking whatsoever and very little effort. I worked
from 2 pm until 10 pm 14 out of 15 working days
and the only time I worked in the morning was that
occasional hellish Sunday. Imagine being 22 and
used to going out all the time and once every three
weeks having to work at 7 a.m. on a Sunday. Fucking
hell on earth. The job also allowed me to go to
school at CPCC in the mornings.

On the occasional shift of mine that required me to
work in the morning on a weekday I noticed
that a large portion of the construction workers that
came in to buy junk food and Sun Drop were stoned
off their asses. They were higher than god. I do
know people who have 'waked and baked' at times
during their life but these guys were red-eyed,
wobbly and reeked of pot. I couldn't imagine going
to work that high (or high at all for that matter) but
my job did require counting.

I thought about those guys later and finally realized
that these guys were doing manual labor in the
middle of a Carolina summer. Is there any other
way to get through that other than staying stoned?


No comments: