Saturday, July 19, 2003

A short word about troop morale

Ever since those idiots went on camera and bitched about wanting to come home I have been thinking about what's it's like over in Iraq for those guys.

Two things:

1) Even if you are in a fucked up situation and your commanders have their heads up their asses going on TV and voicing these complaints, even going so far as to speak out against the secretary of defense, is just dumb. Hey! You're in the army! It sucks!

2) I spent two years in Okinawa. The usual tour was one year, I requested an extension and got it. I saw more than one person that couldn't hack being overseas and go a little nutso and we were basically working a 40-hour week. I can't imagine what it must be like to be stuck in an Iraq summer and having to be on alert 24/7. Morale must be suffering and enough wasn't done in preparation beforehand and the handling of rotations right now is being botched.

No comments: