Wednesday, June 18, 2003

E-Yikes

Usually when people find out you do the telephone reference thing they axe you what whacky questions you have answered. I'm generally stumped because I forget about most calls after I answer them unless they've been particually interesting or especially hellish. Like say someone calls for information about Steinbeck, I'll remember that. Conversely I will also remember a call if someone calls me an asshole and hangs up.

I was just thinking after a call that the type of patron, beside our pantheon of steady wackos, that calls with the hardest and most obscure questions are little old ladies. I swear, if you get a call from a curious octogenerator you will have five books open on your desk and one of your co-workers doing a furious google search and the other checking online resources. But the payoff is worth the struggle. Old southern ladies say thank you like no one else in the world.

No comments: