Monday, March 24, 2003

Two rides in one day

Saturday evening I made an effort to get to bed at a decent hour so I could get up fairly early and go for a bike ride before the NASCAR race at Bristol started. Yes, dammit, I watched the whole race. Don't try to understand it, just accept it

Chris came by after midnight and he was higher than god. As is his wont, he dominated the musical selections. I was doing my pre-sleepy night night read before he came in the apartment and beat on my bedroom door. I came out again for about half an hour and then went back to bed and left him and Wendell to their tunes. I only had to ask those two yahoos to turn down the stereo once. It could have been worse.

I roused myself out of bed around 9:30, had a little breakfast, dicked around on the computer while I digested while Wendell snored away on the couch and then went for a bike ride. I journeyed on down toward Freedom Park again. This time I wore my backpack and stuck my copy of "The Fellowship of the Ring" into it. It was another glorious day and, since I was there earlier than the previous day, the park wasn't crowded yet. I did a couple of laps around the park just to see who else was there and stopped next to a small slope, hopped off my bike. I walked my bike about halfway up the hill and set her down and then dropped down on my back in the grass and stared up at the sky. It had been way too long since I had done that.

To my right, at the bottom of the tiered hill a group of high school students were spray painting a giant Twister board into the grass and were going to play a huge Twister game to raise money for their school. As tempting as that was I didn't wait around for the fun. I had a race to watch.

I rode back home, watched the race. Fun.

Later in the afternoon I took another bike ride. It was too nice out not to. This time I rode in the opposite direction and went to Borders. I had a hankerin' to buy a DVD. I did, too. I purchased a copy of one of the ten essential movies: Cannonball Run. I don't know what it is about this movie but it kills me. I don't want to give the impression that I think this is a good movie. It's as ass as a movie can be but it makes me laugh.

No comments: