Saturday, March 15, 2003

A crippling stoppage

My kitchen sink is clogged. I'm pretty sure it's not my fault. I think stuff and shit was accumulating there for years and it finally stopped up. I am sure it has nothing to do with those potato skins I sent through the garbage disposal.

Activity in the household has come to a standstill with the occurence of the backed up sink. We can't do dishes so we can't eat. We're confused and disoriented so we have decided to go out and eat brunch. We can only hope that maintanence will have shown up and fixed our sink before we return.

Crisis alleviated

The maintanence fella showed up with one of those super-sized black plungers and unplugged our sink after about ten minutes worth of plungering. I should have broken out my four track and recorded the sounds made by this activity. The sound made by the plunger and the water reminded me of a surfacing whale exhaling and sucking in another breath. Or it could have been the sound of a giant sinkhole forming under an interstate.

I was reading an article in the Charlotte Observer this morning about the twelve mile backup on I-85 north just north of Charlotte. Twelve miles! If I had been in that traffic jam I would have thrown myelf under the tires of the nearest tractor trailer after gouging my wrists with my keys.

No comments: