Wednesday, February 05, 2003

In order to deal in this game, got to make the queen disappear

Last week I sat and watched the movie Elizabeth for the second time. I enjoy a good period piece movie occasionally. I've noticed from the little bit of the book I have read that the movie takes great liberties with the life of the queen. Knowing this has not reduced my appreciation of the film since it really is impossible to know the true nature of a person that has lived so long ago events and characters were adjusted to portray one possible Elizabeth.

This movie is especially fun to watch because the costuming is fantastic. It also has some nice palace intrigue.
And Cate Blanchett makes me weak in the knees. I used to get her and Gwyneth Paltrow confused but I got them figured out now.

Seeing the movie caused me to want to learn more about Elizabeth I. I am currently reading a biography about her by Wallace MacCaffrey. I think I am in a bit over my head with this book. My knowledge of English history before Churchill is spotty at best and this is one of those biographies that assumes you know everything about the time period except the subject of the book. I need to find one that covers the times as well as the queen, I reckon.

No comments: