Thursday, January 16, 2003

Pat Conroy

Sometime in the last couple of years I got ahold of a nice and new paperback edition of Conroy's novel "Lords of Discipline." Ever since I was present and photographing the meet and greet reception for bigshots before his Novello appearance I have been meaning to pick this book up. I have a feeling this novel may be like "From here to eternity," I'll get halfway through and realize that it's written well but I just don't have the desire to finish it. I have to admire the opening prologue of the book. His description of Charleston makes me want to go there. I would love to write a description of Savannah half as lovely. It reminded me of the opening of "Cannery Row." A good author can give you an ache for a location that you have never been to.

No comments: