Thursday, January 30, 2003

Gots to love dat new music, yo

Everytime I discover a new band that I like a lot I always end up pissed. Especially when I come across a band that's been around for a while. I have been sharing and loaning and borrowing music from a young lady at work. It's always fun to trade with someone you know has a good taste. How do you know someone has good taste? Easy, you see them at a Sleater-Kinney show.

A couple of days ago she loaned me a CD by a band called Mecca Normal. What do they sound like? They sound like a guy playing electric guitar while a woman Patti Smith's over the top of it. Yes, Patti Smith can be used as a verb. Somewhere along the way she created a genre. Geniuses do that.

I guess a good way to tell if a band is really important is if thousands of bands come after them that sound just like them but don't have an ounce of originality. I can name a few bands and artist that have done that: Zeppelin, Skynryd, Stevie Ray Vaughan and the Grateful Dead. I guess I was a little harsh in saying that bands who follow a seminal band don't show any creativity. That jam band genre spearheaded by Phish is a viable and vibrant musical genre. I always wanted to create a musical genre but I think I started too late.

No comments: