Monday, October 21, 2002

Ed goes electric

Like Bob Dylan it was time for me to move beyond the limitations of an acoustic guitar and plug in. Of course the purchasing and subsequent playing of my Fender Squire Stratocaster did not cause the furor that Dylan created when he went electric. It's my own little personal revolution. Mine is the same color as the one in the photo but it is a lefty which means it is a mirror image of it. That also means it's cooler.

I played it all day Saturday and tips of me fingers are still sore. I have a cheap acoustic I have been playing for a couple of years. I was actually getting bored with it because I no longer enjoyed its sound. When I heard it on home recordings I made with friends it always sounded flat and tinny to my ears when compared to the real guitars my friends own. I hope this will encourage me to play more. Now I just need to save up some dough to buy an amplifier. Wendell has allowed me to use his Gorilla brand practice amp which suffices for now but it's just not loud enough.

The nicest thing about the new guitar, next to high volume, is how much easier it is to play. The neck of the guitar fits my hand much better than my acoustic's. Fretting is much smoother for me. Playing the guitar is a much more pleasurable. I wish I was home right now.

No comments: