Thursday, June 20, 2002

A three hour movie brings home a memory of childhood.

I went to see The Fellowship of the Ring for a second time the day afore yesterday. I had wanted to do this for a while and I finally got a chance at the one-dollar theater. I still couldn't see the car that is supposed to be in the background in one scene. I did see what appeared to be dust kicked up by a car. Maybe that's what they mean.

My favorite scene still is when Gandalf faces down the Balrog at the bridge near the exit of Moria. When that big beasty opens its mouth and roars the special effect is incredible. It's like he has a mouth full of molten lava, like he has an industrial furnace in his mouth. You can see heatwaves. Not just some wussy-ass fire but the heat that only exists in the depths of the earth. It's really understated and very effective. It reminded me of this pit of molten metal that was constantly cooking at this bronze work plant in norhtern Michigan that my father still works at. You could feel the heat from it a couple of meters away. It always fascinated and intimidated me. Lamina

No comments: